Friday, November 4, 2011

Brasied Short Ribs

I have never had the pleasure of eating short ribs.  I realize now what I have been missing out on!  I am fortunate enough to have organic, farm fresh locally grown beef available to me, and yesterday I attempted my first shot at cooking them.  It will not be my last :)  These were so easy and absolutely delicious!!

This recipe was for 1.5lbs of ribs.  Adjust accordingly 

1.5 lbs Organic short ribs
1 lg carrot, small dice
1/2 large onion, small dice
1 celery stalk, small dice
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups red wine (I used Pinot Noir because that's what I had)
2 cups beef stock
Few sprigs of thyme and rosemary tied with a string
flour
olive oil
bacon drippings (optional but delish!!)

Heat oven to 350*

In a Dutch oven, render fat from 1 or 2 pieces of bacon.  (this is optional.  You can just start with olive oil if you like).

My ribs were in a "rack" so I cut them down into individual pieces, LEAVE IN THE BONE!!!!  THIS, my friends, is the Flava ;)

Season with salt & pepper and coat with flour.  Sear meat on all sides until brown and remove.  Set aside.

Add veggies and sautee down, scraping the bottom of the pot to get the brown from the bottom of the pan.  this is Flava too...I think the French call it fond...anyway....

When they are par cooked, add wine and broth and bring to a boil. 

Add ribs back in the liquid with the herb bundle, put the top on, and cook for about 2.5 to 3 hours.  Turn it down to 335 about half way through.

Liquids will reduce and meat falls from bone....done!

Serve over mashed potato or polenta....great for the crock pot!!

Easy and incredible!!!!  Enjoy!!  Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment